A Pleasant Surprise (Julianne Mercier)

Neal

A Pleasant Surprise (Julianne Mercier)

Post by Neal » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:13 am

OFF CAMERA

[We fade in to a sleek, ultra-modern penthouse office with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the multi-colored cityscape that is the Las Vegas Strip at night. Sitting behind an entirely too expensive desk is GCW newcomer Julianne Mercier. The 21-year-old brunette is busy sifting through a stack of papers, signing her namesake where needed. An intercom system then chirps as a hard male voice calls out to her.]

"Mistress, I'm sorry to disturb you; but your Uncle Aldric has requested your audience."

[Julianne sets down her pen and papers, tapping a button on the intercom.]

Julianne: Thank you, Raymond. Patch him through to my office.

[She releases the talk button, leaning back in her high backed chair and crossing one leg over the other as a large monitor comes to life on the back wall.]

Julianne: Uncle Aldric, what a pleasant surprise.

[Filling the monitor is head and shoulders of a bald man in his late 50s wearing an extremely expensive suit and tie.]

Julianne: Are you back from France already?

[Aldric shakes his head.]

Aldric: I leave next week.

[He quickly changes the subject.]

Aldric: Julie, I heard about your plans to become a professional wrestler. Frankly, so have the Council.

[This revelation doesn't seem to alarm Julianne in any way, however.]

Julianne: Good, so my courier arrived on schedule.

[A flash of anger spreads across Aldric's face as he slams a fist down on his desk.]

Aldric: Damnit, Julianne, you're a grown woman now. These kinds of antics will not be tolerated anymore. Not by the Council, and not by me.

[He jabs a bony finger at her.]

Aldric: You should have come to me first with this asinine idea of yours. At least then I could try to talk you out of it. Now the Council thinks you can't be taken seriously. But the situation is very serious, Julie; I promise you that. Unless you stop this nonsense immediately, the Council is prepared to revoke your apprenticeship. And we both know what that means.

[Still, Julianne doesn't appear the least bit concerned.]

Julianne: I want you to give the Council a message for me, Uncle Aldric. Tell them I'm going to proceed with my plans to become a professional wrestler. In fact, I've just signed a contract with Global Championship Wrestling. That's right, GLOBAL, Championship Wrestling. I'm not wasting my time and effort on some run down termite-infested stinkhole, no...

[She shakes her head, a clever little smile spreading across her youthful features.]

Julianne: I'm going to the very top of the industry.

[Aldric glares at her, as if the two are in fact in the same room rather than thousands of miles apart.]

Aldric: Have you even contemplated the consequences of your actions? The exposure that becoming a wrestler will put on us? Do you want to cripple this company? Or are you just ignorant to all but your own devices? Because frankly, that's how it looks from where I'm sitting!

[Still, it seems the more angry Aldric gets, the calmer Julianne becomes.]

Julianne: Relax, Uncle Aldric. Nothing will happen without my say-so. The Council's fears of exposure are unfounded. This is a new millenia we live in, Uncle. People are blind, ignorant to the world. You show them the truth, and they'll simply write it off as laughable. You tell a lie, and they'll buy into it. Then you've really got them by the balls.

[Julianne uncrosses her legs and rises to her feet, walking around her desk before sitting atop it - still focusing on the wall monitor and its automated camera. Before she can continue, however, Aldric cuts in.]

Aldric: Unfounded? The Council has existed this long because it's cautious. You, on the other hand, are entirely too reckless. And don't forget your place, niece. You report to me, and I report to the Council. Therefore, your actions reflect upon me. When you slip up, it makes me look bad. And I'm this--

[He holds up his thumb and index finger an inch apart from eachother.]

Aldric: --close to getting my seat on the Council! So do me a favor, and don't screw it up!

[Julianne waves her hand as if brushing the thought aside.]

Julianne: Tell the Council that I know what I'm doing; and I won't do anything to jeopardize our mission. Soon they'll realize that my actions aren't going to expose them, but rather insulate them. Meanwhile, I'm leaving for Tampa in a week to begin putting my plans into motion.

[Aldric sighs, visibly growing weary of the exchange.]

Aldric: Very well. But do not make me regret this, Julianne. If this goes south, remember, your head will be on the chopping block before mine.

[With that, Aldric cuts the feed. Julianne returns to her chair as another man in his late 40s enters the room. Built like a quarterback, there is a hardness to him that harkens back to his time in the French Foreign Legion. At the same time, there is a genteel side to him, recognizing a need for civilized behavior.

Man: That went well.

[Julianne softens slightly, turning to face her most loyal servant.]

Julianne: Give him time, Raymond. Uncle Aldric may be a stubborn old man, but he'll see things my way soon enough.

[She glances down at the long forgotten papers on her desk, then back up at Raymond.]

Julianne: So who's the first lamb GCW is putting up for slaughter?

[Raymond marches around the desk, handing her an envelope.]

Raymond: Oh, I think you're going to find your opponent is most suitable.

[Julianne opens the envelope and reads the name on the letter. A smirk begins to crease its way across her lips.]

Julianne: Perfect.

[Out.]

Return to “General Roleplay Board”