Cash Rules: Trevor Cash Interview

Lo-Drew

Cash Rules: Trevor Cash Interview

Post by Lo-Drew » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Resurrection X is within a month away and on Night 1, the GCW Global Championship will be defended. The champion, Lenore Mason, became the undisputed champion after a four way victory over Andrew Raynes, Travis Vessey and fellow HERstory Makers unit mate Isabella Harker. The challenger is Princess Nava Farrin, the longest GCW X-Division Champion and one of the hottest wrestlers in GCW today. Boasting impressive recent victories over the likes of Mara Kade, Krissy and Kelsai Adamson-Mason, Nava was handpicked by Tabitha Silverstone to challenge Lenore in the main event. This first time encounter is an exciting match for all but perhaps no one is more excited than Trevor Cash, the agent/manager of Nava Farrin.

Like Nava, Trevor has already begun to make a name for himself thanks to his clients. Besides Nava, he is also mentoring and orchestrated the arrival of Japanese supernova Aia; who's in GCW on a five match excursion. Aia has looked the part of a prodigy, having gone undefeated. Other than Nava's loss to Ms. Budde due to the interference of Krissy, Trevor's former client, both Aia and Nava have yet to drop a fall or submit in the last four months. In this interview, we sat down with Trevor discuss the success of his clients and more!

[This interview was conducted on Monday, April 12th, 2021]

-So we're getting closer and closer to Resurrection.

Cash: Indeed. I've been anxiously counting down the days until we're there. It's always exciting to take part in the biggest show GCW has to offer and it's easily the biggest night of my career so there's definitely an added level of anticipation on my end.

-Let's talk about Resurrection. Your client, Princess Nava Farrin, will challenge for the GCW Global Championship against Lenore Mason. It's a match everyone can't wait to see.

Cash: You and me both. I think these two, in my honest opinion, are the two best wrestlers not just on Livewire, but in GCW. Lenore, since the moment she entered the wrestling business, has always been destined for greatness. You look at her size, her height, her athleticism, from the beginning people pegged her as a future star and rightfully so. She's been here for two years and has fulfilled that promise immediately. Won the World title within seven months of being here. Created a unit with her at the center. She's beaten everyone you would want to beat. Vessey, Chambers, Harker, Raynes. Beat them all.

-It's been a very impressive run for her.

Cash: Certainly. It's rare to find a wrestler or any athlete, who immediately lives up to the hype surrounding them. Her rise is remarkable and I know there are people who are not a fan of hers personally but that's irrelevant. Facts don't care about feelings and the facts show that she's as good as anyone in this business.

-You speak very glowing on Lenore.

Cash: Like I said, the facts match the eye test. And both show that she is everything people thought she would be.

-Of course you represent and manage Nava. I suspect you have some faith that she has a legitimate chance to dethrone her.

Cash: Absolutely. All those things I said about Lenore are true and I mean all of those words. However, I've made the case that you could apply all those statements with Nava. This is a woman, like Lenore, who immediately found success in GCW. She's the longest X-Division Champion in history. That's something you can't take away from her, despite the attempts of the fans. She is gifted as an athlete. The fastest wrestler we have in this business. The way she runs the ropes and her speed? It's unrivaled by anyone in GCW or in the world. She keeps herself in incredible shape. She's very intelligence and has an incredible aware of what to do in the ring. She's a scrapper and a fighter. She's cunning. Again, in the past people have accused her of being underhanded or have suggested some of her wins were tainted and I think that has contributed to why Nava isn't lauded enough as being one of the best.

-You've been consistent about feeling as if Nava doesn't receive the respect that you think she deserves.

Cash: It's not surprising that people allow their personal feelings to seep into what is true. Because they personally do not like Nava, her attitude, the wealth that she has, they allow that to rule in their thinking. And so what we have is someone, who has clearly proven herself in the ring and has the accomplishments to support her, get routinely dismissed. It's something I know Nava has taken note of and she's uses it as fuel.

-It's interesting to think that these two have never been in the same ring at the same time, let alone competed in a match with one another.

Cash: This is what we're in this business for, yes? Matches like this where you're seeing two wrestlers at the top of their games, wrestling over the biggest title in the company. That's why we all take part in this. That's why I do, at least.

-Nava is giving up a lot of size in this match. She is listed at 5'5 while Lenore stands at 6'0. What advice have you given Nava?

Cash: Well, you know I can't just disclosure that in the public. It would be foolish to tell your strategy to the whole world where Lenore can easily listen to.

-You're right. Perhaps I should ask what advice have you given Nava since becoming her manager.

Cash: Now that I can answer. It's interesting, the first conversation we had, we discussed how I could assist her in receiving a rematch for the International Championship, which I did. And we quickly talked about wrestling and I complimented her on her speed. However, there's something I told her that she seemed surprised at first but eventually saw where I was coming from. I suggested that she could afford to go faster. I think it's a bit outdated to suggest to a wrestler than they need to slow it down or not do too much. I think people can be very rigid regarding how a wrestler should wrestle. With Nava, I told her "your biggest strength is that you're the fastest wrestler in the world. If you're not constantly on the move, you're letting your opponent off the hook."

-You encouraged her to increase her pace.

Cash: I don't want the opponent to feel as if they have any openings. And Nava, like I mentioned, is in tremendous shape. So she has the speed and the stamina to withstand that level of pace and I don't think many wrestlers simply can. I never believe in forcing a wrestler to move away from what brought them to the dance. Nava has good mat skills and is comfortable there. But she's at her best when she's whipping around the ring and using that speed as a weapon. It's no surprise that she's been better than ever these past few months.

-The increase in pace is something I have noticed.

Cash: It's going to be one of the pieces to the puzzle of figuring out Lenore. I've had Nava constantly watching tape of Lenore. I know she gets tired of me asking her over and over again to study film[chuckles].

-You want her to spot any weaknesses in Lenore's game I assume?

Cash: Not just Lenore but for everyone. I say the same with Aia. I think it's tempting to focus on improving in the gym and increasing how many ponds you can bench or how many times you can lift the tires over. I don't think that is necessarily bad but a lesson I've learned is that nine out of ten times, if you lost a match, it's not because of anything physically. There's obviously exceptions but I guarantee you, you can find the answers as to why you won or lost by studying the tape. The tape doesn't lie. Nava has great wrestling I.Q. But so does Lenore. Nava is gifted physically despite her small size. Lenore is physically gifted. Something has to give and if I have it my win, the one that will give will be Lenore.

-Switching topics a bit. You mentioned Aia earlier. I know you had a hand in bringing her over to GCW. How did that come about?

Cash: Well, as you know, I spent many years on the Bay Area working alongside Franklin Myers. I entered the wrestling business by accidentally, really. I didn't grow up a fan per say but I had recently received my Masters in business. I was thirty at the time [as of today, Trevor is thirty eight.] And right away, a family friend of mine got me in touch with Franklin Myers. When i first heard it was wrestling, I scoffed. Like what am I going to learn about running a business watching wrestling? But it's the best thing that ever happened to me because I learned so much from him and I end up finding what I was going to make my career in.

Anyways so like I said, I learned a lot being at the right hand on Franklin. I helped produce shows with him. I had a hand in producing World Hazard and organizing the all day wrestling portion of that show. One of the benefits of that is you get to interact all types of people. It's a way of networking, so to speak. One of the individuals I met through Franklin is Ryota Yamazaki. He's one of the main people that trained El Rudo, if you remember PUNK HAZARD or KIRA Nakajima from Cartel Nxt:Gen fame. Real stern, firm individual. That intimates a lot of people. But he's my type of person. We both don't do small talk. We just get down to business. So I went out of my way to integrate myself with him. His English is ok but that was good enough for me to approach him on things I know he likes. And throughout the years, even after I started doing my own thing, our relationship grew. So when Yamazaki was looking for a place where Aia can complete her excursion, he told Franklin that he wanted me to personally oversee that, provided that I could ensure that she would face quality talent. At the time I was re-upping my deal with GCW and something I was able to convince Glory and Tabitha on was that I had the ability to ring international talent never seen before on American soil, to GCW. One thing led to another and we got the deal done and Yamazaki entrusted me with overseeing Aia's excursion and here we are.

-What advice do you give Aia in comparison to Nava?

Cash: Just watch tape[laughs]. You talk about being physically gifted, I haven't met many people, both in wrestling, or in life, that have the work ethic as Aia. She dedicates herself to the gym and she is absolutely chiseled. While Nava is all about speed, Aia wants to fight you. She wants to throw forearms with you. She's relentless and the time she puts in the gym is all designed to hit as hard as she does. And then you add in the piece that she's such a fast learner. When i show her film of her opponents or areas that she she shown weakness, she takes it, learns from it and gets better, She picks up information so quickly. There's a skillset there. it's just different. To me it's the confidence that I marvel at. She's cocky out there. I love it. She steps foot in the ring and she feels as if no one can f**k with her on that night. No matter who it is. I feel privileged to be able to say that I got to see her and assist her along her journey to what's going to be a legendary career when this excursion is over and when she goes back home and applies everything she learned from this experience and just dominate there.

-She's special, for sure. Now, just to give the readers some more context about your background, you entered the wrestling business what year?

Cash: 2012. So I cam right before the Bay Area boom. Yes. I was there throughout. It was a magical time.

-Those few years produced a lot of talent and a lot of innovation.

Cash: I've often told this to people in private but it's one of those "you had to be there" moments and something I think won't be replicated again. It was just a perfect storm of events between the talent, the timing, even the entire Bay Area. The Golden State Warriors were just beginning their dynasty and that alone brought a lot of eyes to the Bay Area. And the wrestling scene picked up along the way. A lot of that was Alexis Quinne and PUNK HAZARD and Golden Gate Wrestling Academy churning out high quality talent. It was a special time and obviously I got to play a small hand in it all. Just a truly special moment in time.

-It's interesting you bring up Quinne. I feel when I see Nava, that's who she reminds me of?

Cash: Really? That's interesting. Nava is a bit taller and far and away the better athlete. Quinne wasn't a natural athlete and that's why she flunked GGWA in the first place. But Alexander Grayson and Sharon Rose did a hell of a job teaching her ring awareness and credit to Quinne, she worked her ass off to become the savvy, scrappy, innovative wrestler that she became. So I can see it. I will say I think Nava is the superior athlete. Nava is currently the same age as Quinne when Quinne won the World title[twenty four years old] and I would just say Nava is better at 24 than Quinne was at 24, which says a lot. I don't hate the comparison. I can see it but I would say Nava is even better.

-A lot of people came through that scene, you included. You can see the after effects of World Hazard with the amount of Bay Area talent in GCW. Nadia, as mentioned. Your former Reverie unit mate Dianna Kruse, Kowloon, Krissy. Max Kane. Mara Kade of Scream Machine.

Cash: I know all of them. I suppose Mara and I are family by association given our ties to Franklin. But she never liked me. It's interesting to think. The seventeen, eighteen, nineteen year olds who were ten, eleven, twelve when they attended World Hazard are now old enough to go to training so I wouldn't be surprised if you see some of those people pop up in GCW and elsewhere, having been inspired by World Hazard. I think while the attention isn't as strong as it was during it's peak years, I can tell you personally that there's a lot of interesting talent making some waves. It'll be interesting too because word of the street is that Grayson and Rose are retiring by the end of the year and Alexis is going to take over as head of Golden Gate.

-Really?

Cash: Times are a changing. Which is why I don't get hung up on what the past was. You have to always look at the next thing and try to identity what's the new wave. Who are the next future stars. You have to do that and that's what I do.

-You first managed Krissy and co-created Reverie. That fell through and you quickly moved on to Nava. You're overseeing Aia's excursion. There were some tweets that suggested you've been talking to other wrestlers. Are you planning to start a unit of your own?

Cash: When I first started as a manager, that's certainly what i envisioned. I was still new to the business when I watched Silas World take off or saw the success Aiken had with his stable of clients. In theory that sounds grand. But after what I experienced with Reverie, I no longer have that desire. Instead, I've shifted towards a more sports agent model per say. It's interesting that there's not many managers who are just agents. What's common is if a manager has two clients, they team them together. What you don't see is what you see in sports. Take for example, Klutch Sports. Rich Paul represents LeBron, obviously. But he also represents Anthony Davis, John Wall, Trae Young and others. Perhaps boxing would be a better example. Different agencies advocate for their stable of fighters. I think the failure of Reverie revealed to me that there's a market for this model in professional wrestling and there isn't anyone currently filling that. I have the advantage of knowing the business world with my degree and knowing wrestling from my time with Franklin and in general to where I can provide both business advice and wrestling advice to my clients.

-So you would rather have a slew of different clients rather than a stable of clients?

Cash: Precisely. It's business, at the end of the day. This has always been a business and this is how I approach my business. I've started small with Nava and Aia. But I'm always studying tape. I tell that to Nava when i talk about studying tape. I have to study tape myself. I wouldn't recommend something to someone that I don't also do. As an agent, I have to deliver the goods, put a smile on faces and provide everything my clients want. And if I'm not doing that they should fire me because that's my job. My focus is to help my clients accomplish what they want to do and I think I do that well. But in order to do that, I have to identify the next stars. So I'm always watching whatever wrestling I can find. Whether that's in person on the local scene, Livewire, Shotgun, SCW, etc. There's certain things I look for in a potential client and when I identity that, I research all i can about them and then approach them. Chantelle Chambers is a once in a generation talent. She was discovered by the Brod. That should never be forgotten. He discovered her because he did the work. Silas Mason, say what you want about him, he identified Sienna Swann when she was a runaway model as a future World Champion. People don't like Mason Von Staton but when Kendra Classic won the World title, who was behind her? it was him.

-Can we expect more wrestlers being represented by you?

Cash: Absolutely. Sooner than later. There's also a few wrestlers on both brands, that I have my eye on. Some of them are already being managed but I could see a situation where that changes. But yes, I'm open for business. I have a few things in the works so stay tuned.

Return to “General Roleplay Board”