New Blood: Alexander Jones Interview

Lo-Drew

New Blood: Alexander Jones Interview

Post by Lo-Drew » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:24 pm

At Shogun 10.14, Trevor Cash introduced his newest client to the world; Alexander Jones. While an unknown to the national stage, Alexander is far from a mystery to wrestling scouts. Touted by some to be one of the best pure athletes to enter professional wrestling in a long time, he now finds himself in GCW, his first major league promotion. Interesting, Trevor has given the duties of guiding Alexander to Veronica Starr, who came to GCW seven years ago looking for clients before quietly fading away. While the backing of Veronica and Trevor, Alexander walks into his first match at Survival of the Fittest against Arcardia Chavez in three weeks. We spoke to Alexander about how he got to GCW, his upcoming match, his goals moving forward and much more!

[This interview was conducted on November 13th, 2021]

-So it's been a month already since you've arrived at GCW.

Alexander: ........

-No one else has signed since, which would make you still the new guy.

Alexander: I guess it does.

-What have been your first impressions of GCW as a whole?

Alexander: It's interesting. I see what Ronnie was saying about the action being faster than what I've seen so far.

-What do you mean?

Alexander: The pros are more fluid in their transitions. The way people snap off the ropes. They aren't thinking through what to do next. They just read and react.

-GCW is home of the very best in pro wrestling.

Alexander: Right. That's why I'm here.

-Who has stood out to you the most?

Alexander: No one in particular. I know there's some all time greats here. I've heard the names. But like I said, I don't fanboy. That's what the fans do.

-You stated that at the last Shotgun. In your words if you show too much respect, it'll cost.

Alexander: That's just how I'm wired. It would be one thing if I wasn't here and I was watching at home. Then I would say this person caught my eye. But my job is to compete against these guys. You will not catch me slipping around opps. Absolutely not.

-Most people don't know this about you but you didn't grow up a fan of the sport. You actually trained to become a wrestler two years ago and started late. It's very rare to find a professional wrestler that didn't have any previous fandom with the sport.

Alexander: That's what I hear. I didn't think three years ago that this was the lane I was gong to be in. But one of my OGs, Butchie, one of my pops' best friends. He's basically like my uncle. He trains people, thought it would be fun if I messed around and tried it. Picked it up quick and he was like "you could really do this." So he sent me off and things played out as they did and now I'm here.

-Your first match was at the age of 25, much later than when the average wrestler begins their career.

Alexander: I would argue that gives me an leg up over most. Barely any wear and tear. Right at the beginning of my physical prime. The knock I hear is experience. There might be a few things I don't know but I'm not some kid fresh out of high school just finishing puberty. I have life experience that can apply to any situation, especially wrestling.

-You graduated from the University of Alabama with a B.A in business. You also have a track background from your days in high school. Well versed in many different areas.

Alexander: Can't be a one trick pony out here. So while I got this wrestling thing started, I have something on the side that I can pick up if things go left. And because I've done a lot of different things, no one can tell me s**t. I know I'm capable of doing a lot of different things because I have.

-There's security that comes with all that you've done up to this point in your life.

Alexander: You know, growing up, mom always told me the world is yours if you put your mind to it. But that I had two handicaps. I'm a young man and I'm Black. So if I don't have that mindset, I'm not going to get the best of life. So that's how I see it. There's a lot of opportunity out there and I'm going to go after it. And I have.

-Circling back to wrestling for a moment. You spent a year and half essentially learning about the sport in the ring and the history of pro wrestling outside the ring. As an "outsider" coming in, what have been some of the biggest lessons that you've learned so far?

Alexander: That there's some traditions that I just will never get. Like first few months I started out, Butchie was putting in good words for me so I can hop on some shows down in the South, get my reps in, network with people who can open doors for me, etc. OK cool. I know how it goes. Start from the bottom, work your way up. Have no problem with that. But when I got there, a few times, they have the rooks set up the ring, sweep the floors, some of them on they hands and knees scrubbing up stuff. Picking up streamers. Carrying luggage. Servant s**t. So I refused to do it.

-You feel it was beneath you.

Alexander: They say it builds character and you learn the game that way. My thing is I'm a wrestler. I'm not staff. You pay them to do that. I'm a man. I'm not going to degrade myself just because you think you can take advantage of these kids who throw away not going to college to chase a dream. Just because Billy needs that $40 he's getting paid for the show to help him pay rent with the three jobs he's doing, doesn't mean you doing that with me. Obviously I don't need the money. I can learn the game from operating in the ring or in the stands watching the action.

-So you clashed with the promoters over this.

Alexander: Some of them refused to put me on the shows. I'm put my feet in the sand. I wasn't budging. Butchie stepped in for me and he fought for me. I just told them I'll show you why I'm above that in the ring. I did that. It didn't take long for them to drop that nonsense.

-You let your actions speak for themselves.

Alexander: One of the biggest lessons I've learned is you are your biggest advocate. And you always have to advocate for yourself. I learned that pursuing my degree but life in general. Also, if you win, they can't say anything. I'm from Bama so you know I have that in my DNA.

-What else have you learned?

Alexander: I love pro wrestling. For different reasons. I love the competitive nature of it. You got a lot of guys who have their dreams and their desires. They sacrificed a lot of time to do this. So anyone you face, they have a reason to fight. And to be able to take that fight out of them and stand tall as the winner, it's a feeling that's hard to describe. To know you took the will out of a man, it's sweet. It's real sweet. To me that's what wrestling. Just two guys that want to win but only one can. And they fight to see who's the best.

-Not surprising given your athletic background.

Alexander: I'm the oldest of five. Four brothers, one sister. So with my brothers, we were always going at it over everything. Pick up ball, 2k, chess, you name it. When I was in college, I was around a lot of great athletes you know. Collin Sexton, Derrick Henry, Calvin Ridley. A lot more that I'm forgetting. I know those guys. They balling too. Collin just messed up his knee but it's that Bama DNA. Taking it all the way back home, pops was hard for me. Any time I acted up in school, he let me have it. if I was slacking in school, I didn't hear the end of it from him. Mom is always gentle. Not him. But what that did is give me the mindset that I gotta strive to be better. Failure doesn't even enter my mind because I'm locked in.

-Seems like your parents instilled discipline to you.

Alexander: They the root to everything. I'm trying to make enough money to put them in a nicer house and maybe out here closer to me. They almost got everyone out the house. The youngest just started high school so he got some time to go but I'm always going to give back to them. Family is everything. That's just what it is.

-An interesting comment that you shared on the Supershow is that you expect you win a title within the first six months of being here.

Alexander: Right. That's my first goal. I want to make S.M.A.R.T. goals. That's absolutely attainable. I'm a quick learner. I got here eighteen months after my first match. So the way I look at it, I'm going to keep putting in the work. I'm going to get better just naturally through reps. Ronnie and Trevor have been sending me stuff on what they want me to work on and we have plan on areas to address. So anything less than winning a title in the first six months would be a failure to me.

-Who's your favorite wrestler? Or better yet, who are some of the wrestlers that you're modeling yourself after?

Alexander: I'm my favorite wrestler, to be honest. I've seen my my matches more than anyone. I like the wrestler I am now and I like the wrestler I know I'm going to become.

-So let's talk about your first match. Your opponent is a seasoned veteran in Arcardia Cortez. You were in the building for her No Holds Barred Match with Gabriella Austin at the Superhshow. She was defeated but as I'm sure you know by now, her reputation of being one of the most sadistic pro wrestlers in the world is well deserved. A tough challenge for any wrestler,

Alexander: Yeah I saw some of that live. She's wrestling on Fever this weeks so I'll be tuning in. Yeah she crazy. I can see how that would scare people. You ain't crazy like your mom asking you to go outside and pick the biggest switch so she can whoop you with it because you acted up. The craziest people on Earth are in the South. So i got some crazy in me too. I'm looking forward to show everybody what I can do and what to come from me.

-You feel as if you match up well with her.

Alexander: No doubt. I'm taller. Heavier. Quicker on my first. She looks like she can throw some hard forearms and she's athletic. She was whipping around the ring when I saw her. Nice speed. It's a different ballgame when I'm operating in the ring. Like I said, it's all about taking the will out of somebody. It may take all night because she's the type that can take punishment. But I got time.

-Sounds like you're up for the challenge.

Alexander: I don't fear nothing other than the right hand of God. That's just how I live.

Return to “General Roleplay Board”